P: 229.439.0240
F: 229.439.0241

Get a Quote

Request a Free Quote

Like us on Facebook


Check out photos of past projects, view our blog, read testimonials of some of our clients, and check out our FAQ.

“Mold” is a dirty word to most of us-- nearly everyone instantly tenses up as soon as they hear the word. We know it’s bad for us, and the thought of it thriving where we live, work, and let our loved ones near is an unsettling idea. So how do you get rid of it for good? Here are some tips from our experts.

Know your Enemy

To make sure mold is unwelcome in your home, you need to know how it can get there and what makes it stay. Mold thrives in warm, damp places with organic materials, such as drywall or wood. Once it finds a comfortable spot, it grows rapidly. Common places you’ll see mold are in basements, kitchens, bathrooms, and crawl spaces.

Make Mold Unwelcome

The most essential step in getting rid of mold for good is killing the source of moisture. A very common source of mold-feeding moisture is water leaking somewhere in the home. If you know of a leak in your home, get it repaired immediately. Most leaks are easy to identify and repair. In some cases, you may need to call in some help to find and fix more complicated water leaks to ensure they are properly identified and repaired.

High humidity is also a breeding ground for mold. In the south, high humidity is something most of us expect to experience when we step outside on a daily basis. To keep mold at bay, make sure the humidity ends when you enter your front door. Good ventilation, air filters, and fans generally circulate air well enough to keep humidity low indoors. Dehumidifiers are an excellent way to reduce humidity in spaces with extremely high air moisture.

Regular surface cleaning is very important in keeping mold out of your home or business. Mold feeds off of organic material--drywall, cardboard, etc, but even slick surfaces like glass and plastic can grow mold if they are not regularly cleaned. Dirt, dust, and other microbes can encourage mold if left for too long. Keeping your house clean creates not just a happy home, but a safe one, too.

Say Goodbye to Mold

After you are rid of the source of mold, the next step is to eliminate the mold that has already grown. It is important to be equipped with proper personal protective equipment (PPE) while removing mold, as direct exposure can cause both short and long term health problems. PPE should include an N95 mask, goggles, and gloves to stop mold spores from entering through your mouth, nose, eyes, and/or getting stuck under fingernails. Also, make sure to wear clothing that covers as much skin as possible--wash them in hot water as soon as you are done cleaning.

Mold must be scrubbed off of hard surfaces with a mold removing cleaner and dried completely afterwards. If you are cleaning a porous surface like drywall, use a rag to avoid damaging the surface. There are many products that are designed specifically to remove mold. You can also make a solution with common household products, such as bleach.

Calling in Extra Help

In many instances, small mold invasions in localized areas can be cleaned up by homeowners who are willing to invest the time and labor needed to remove mold. If you find yourself with a mold infestation, give us a call. One of our experts will take a look at what you’re facing and give you an honest assessment of what kind of remediation needs to be done. Often, we can just share some advice and give you the confidence to tackle the mold in your space on your own.

But, if you find yourself in a more complicated situation, our professional mold remediators are certified and trained in every aspect of mold testing and removing. Professional mold remediators can rid your home of mold invasions of every size and give you the peace of mind in knowing the mold is gone for good.